Gimbarzevsky, Bsc, Msc, MD
#4-1380 Summit Drive
Kamloops, BC V2C 1T8
boris <nospam> <at> <nospam> summitclinic <nospam> <dot> com
General practice in Kamloops BC since 2008 and previously Vancouver BC 1996-2008. Areas of interest are eating disorders, general internal medicine, psychopharmacology, primary care management of psychiatric and neurological diseases, sleep apnea and medical applications of computers.
Royal Inland Hospital general practice (2006)
Eating disorders clinic Kamloops (2006)
Royal Inland Hospital Hospitalist service (2008)
1996-2008 - Board certification American Board of Internal Medicine
1991-1995 Internal medicine residency, Vancouver BC
- additional rotations taken in ICU/CCU as well as neurology research
1990-1991 Rotating Internship, St. Pauls Hospital, Vancouver, BC
- general medical licensure obtained with BC College of Physicians, 1991
1987-1990 MD, University of Calgary
1975-1978 MSc in Neurophysiology, University of Ottawa
1971-1975 BSc (Honors) in Physiology, University of Ottawa with minor in organic chemistry.
1968-2009 Self taught programming, digital electronics.
2008-2009 - Summit Medical clinic Kamloops
2008-2009 - Part-time hospitalist Royal Inland Hospital Kamloops
2006-2009 - Performing medical assessments in Kamloops eating disorders program
2005-2007 - St. Pauls Hospital eating disorders ward sessional on-call work from June 2005 onwards.
2004-2007 - consultant to Eli Lilly in area of primary care psychiatry
- speaker for Eli Lilly for their: "Beyond Depression Diagnosing and treating Bipolar disorder" program.
1987-2005 Computer consultant
- have worked as technical consultant for Revenue
Canada (SRTC computer related contracts), programmer analyst at UofC
developing Macintosh based bone-age determination system and advised
on design of systems for neurophysiology data acquisition.
- extensive experience with internet since 1993, web page design, web server configuration and in advising physicians regarding network design/configuration.
1979-1987 Research Associate, Dept of Pharmacology at UBC
- investigation of drug actions (primarily general anesthetics) on neuron membranes utilizing frequency domain analysis of voltage responses to injected stimulus currents.
- complete design and implementation of all software and hardware to perform necessary frequency domain analysis using a multiprocessor system of 2 PDP-11 computers for data acquisition/analysis and MSP-3000 array processor utilized for non-linear least squares fitting of equivalent circuits to transfer functions.
1969-1979 Varied temporary jobs which included timber cruising and tree planting in Northern Alberta, botanical survey in Nahanni national park (NWT), organic chemistry technician, organic chemistry teaching assistant, computer operator, programmer, bouncer at university pubs and freelance researcher.
2005-2007 Circandian rhythms of heart rate in anorexia/bulimia. Ongoing research with Dr. C. L. Birminghan (St. Pauls Hospital) and Dr. H. Stampfer (Perth, Australia).
2003-2005. Widespread use of home pulse oximetry in diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea. Preliminary work on ambulatory physiologic monitoring system using Zigbee wireless technology.
1999 - onward - Investigation of circadian patterns of heart rate rhythmicity in the objective diagnosis and management of psychiatric disease. This is being done in conjunction with HeartLink Canada Ltd.
1993 - Computer applications in clinical medicine (ongoing)
1988-1993 Development and clinical validation of a computerized data acquisition system for obtaining quantitative data on alternating two-finger tapping in patients and controls. This simple test has shown itself useful in diagnosing, and monitoring progress of, Parkinson's disease (work done with Dr. D. Calne, UBC).
1987-1994 Medical image analysis including quantitation of schizophrenic CT scans, use of scanned knee radiographs for bone-age estimation . Helped setup initial St. Pauls Hospital radiology web site 1994.
Fluent in both Ukrainian and Croatian
(1) DURST, T., GIMBARZEVSKY, B. Isolation and characterization of a stable 1,2-oxathietan 2-oxide (ß-sultine). J. Chem. Soc., Chemical Communications pp 724-725 (1975)
(2) MARSHALL, K.C., HENDELMAN, W.J., GIMBARZEVSKY, B., WOJTOWITZ, J.M. Synaptic transmission in organized cultures of cerebellum. In: Iontophoresis and Transmitter Mechanisms in the Mammalian CNS. Ryall and Kelly, editors. Elsevier/North Holland, Amsterdam. pp 221-223 (1978)
(3) GIMBARZEVSKY, B. Electrophysiological studies of mouse cerebellum neurons in culture. MSc thesis. University of Ottawa, 1979
(4) GIMBARZEVSKY, B., MIURA, R.M., PUIL, E. Impedance profiles of peripheral and central neurons. Can. J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 62: 460-462 (1984)
(5) GIMBARZEVSKY, B., MIURA, R.M., PUIL, E. Membrane properties of trigeminal ganglion neurons in guinea pigs: frequency-domain analysis. The Institute of Applied Mathematics and Statistics: Technical Report no. 85-3, April 1985. The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada.
(6) PUIL, E., GIMBARZEVSKY, B., MIURA, R.M. Quantification of membrane properties of trigeminal root ganglion neurons in guinea pigs. J. Neurophysiol 55: 995-1016 (1986)
(7) PUIL, E., GIMBARZEVSKY, B., MIURA, R.M. Voltage dependence of membrane properties of trigeminal root ganglion neurons. J. Neurophysiol 58: 66-85 (1987)
(8) PUIL, E., GIMBARZEVSKY, B. Modifications in membrane properties of trigeminal sensory neurons during general anesthesia. J. Neurophysiol 58: 87-103 (1987)
(9) PUIL, E., GIMBARZEVSKY, B., SPIGELMAN, I. Primary involvement of K+ conductance in membrane resonance of trigeminal root ganglion neurons. J. Neurophysiol 59: 77-89 (1988)
(10) REMICK, R., GIMBARZEVSKY B. Manic reaction to lidocaine anesthesia [letter] J. Clinical Psychopharmacology 10: 442-443 (1990)
(10) REMICK, R. A., SADOVNICK, A. D., GIMBARZEVSKY, B,. HUGGINS, M. J., LAM, R. W., ZIS A. P., BAIRD, P. A., Obtaining a family psychiatric history - is it worth the effort? Canadian Journal of Psychiatry. 38(9):590-594 (1993)
(1) MARSHALL, K.C., HENDELMAN, W.J., GIMBARZEVSKY, B. Characterization of brain stem neurons in culture. Soc. Neurosci. Abst. 3: 516, (1977)
(2) MARSHALL, K.C., HENDELMAN, W.J., GIMBARZEVSKY, B. Electrical activity of brain stem neurons in organized cultures of cerebellum. Canada Physiology 10: 42, (1979)
(3) PUIL, E., GIMBARZEVSKY, B. Complex impedance of trigeminal ganglion neurons. Proc. Xth Annual Banff Biomembrane Conference, Cowichan Bay, BC. November 12-14, 1982
(4) GIMBARZEVSKY, B., PUIL, E. Complex impedance of trigeminal ganglion neurons. Can. J. Physiol. Pharmacol 61: Ax, 1983
(5) GIMBARZEVSKY, B., MIURA, R.M., PUIL, E. Measurement of complex impedance by sine-wave analysis in trigeminal ganglion neurons. Soc. Neurosci. Abstr. 9: 233, (1983)
(6) PUIL, E. GIMBARZEVSKY, B. Alterations in membrane electrical properties of trigeminal ganglion neurons during general anesthesia. Soc. Neurosci. Abstr. 10: 561, (1984)
(7) PUIL, E. GIMBARZEVSKY, B. Voltage dependencies of membrane properties of trigeminal ganglion neurons. Can. J. Physiol. Pharmacol 64: Ax, 1986
(8) PUIL, E. GIMBARZEVSKY, B., MIURA R. M. Frequency domain analysis of K+ channels in neuromembranes. ACEMB Proceedings (1987)
(9) GIMBARZEVSKY B., PARTON D. Quantitation of two finger tapping: Clinical usefulness and validation of a simple bedside test. Presented at XXVI meeting of Canadian Congress of Neurological Sciences, Halifax, June 1991
(1) Debating gun registration. CMAJ. 2003 May 13;168(10):1241.
CV last updated 27/8/2009
Gimbarzevsky CV Page